Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. – Joshua 1:9
Conflict In The Will of God Is To Be Expected; Three times in the chapter Joshua is told ” be strong, be courageous do not be afraid ( the word means “terrified”) do not be discouraged.” The two prong attack is “fear and discouragement!” Both attacks to the mind to influence the emotions and will! This was not just for Joshua, David had given his own son the same charge!
- Previous LORD… Joshua was told three times BEFORE he went forth into the unknown . The Lord has prevision and makes Provision for him and you! He is never taken off guard or surprised. He knows the end from the Beginning. He is all knowing, all powerful, He is always in calm control, all things in subjection ultimately to Him. He is not bound by time. He is eternally in control all things culminating at His feet. His being previous should help us to be calm. We have not arrived here , at this moment or circumstance, to find He is taken unaware or scrambling to somehow make something work as though in an emotional tizzy trying to react to what is happening! We know that is not true, don’t we, but we often live as though it is true! That God is scrambling to try control the uncontrollable, as though He is like some juggler, spinning plates in the air, who is trying not to let a plate drop as he keeps getting more plates to juggle and surely one will be too many and it will drop as will all others and smash in pieces because it was too much for him! How often you will hear a message, recall a verse before you go into conflict, be it temptation or something new. Comfort ourself He is Previous and He Provides! He has Pre- Vison, He knows the future, there are no time limits on Him, all is known to Him, the beginning from the end.
- The Provision… to Obey comes with the instruction,
- The Power… to “..be strong and be courageous,” and the power to choose not to yield to the evil one’s temptation of fear and discouragement. He would not have been commanded so if he was not given the power to carry out His command. The conflict is real, the Commander In Chief is in Control! And He empowers us for what He calls us to be and do in the place He has us.
- The Promise… “I will be with you wherever you Go.” How wonderful there is a promise wherever you go, whatever conflict you find yourself in, you find you are not alone. He is present with you! It is not a matter of “feeling” His presence but of assurance because He had said “I will be with you, wherever you go.” Think on that !
Where you are now, He is with you!
Where you will be in five minutes He is there also. The psalmist asked ,”where can I go from Your presence?” And assured himself that though he go to the furthest and remotest of places even there, He would be. What comfort in the conflict, He and all of His power, attributes is with Him. Fully God, fully present, with you and for you. You are not on your own! He is here ! Hagar in the desert alone found out she was not, for He was present! David found He could never be alone for He was present. To the disciples whom were sent forth with the mandate to make disciples and the promise He would be with them till the end of the age. Before the conflict came the promise of assurance He would be with them! To the suffering ones in the book of Hebrews comes the resounding reminder and promise of assurance ” I will never leave you nor forsake you.” They were never alone for He assures, He is present! And though you may not “feel”His presence be assured He is here with you now, for He has promised and He who promises keeps His Word! It is not your performance but His promise that is the resting place!
- Be assured in the will of God, conflict is to be expected.
- Be assured in the will of God He provides power for you to go forth
- Be assured He is always fully present with you. It does not depend on your feelings but on Him who promises, He is faithful!
Whatever you are facing, know God has been previous in the matter. He provides for you. He is present, you are not alone, you are never on your own for He is with you – He promises you!
Thank You Lord, You are Previous, You impart Provision of Power and You are Present with me, for You Promise and You have never failed to keep Your promise and You will not begin with me, for You are faithful!- NEVER ALONE!