“Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, WHERE CHRIST IS, SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD.” – Colossians 3:1-3
Where is Jesus? Is He in a manger? Is He hanging on a cross? Is He still in a tomb? He is the Resurrected Lord… and He is “SEATED.” HE IS SEATED IN HEAVEN. He is presently sitting in Heaven, all things known to Him, all things in subjection to Him. “SEATED” – IN THE PLACE OF REST…IN THE PLACE OF POWER… IN THE PLACE OF SUPREMACY…..AND FOR THE BELIEVER THE PLACE OF BLESSING AND HELP. BUT NOTE THE OBVIOUS – There is a PERSON who is Seated…not a denomination, an idea, NOT a preference… NOT a Spiritual gift…but look…a Person – The Lord JESUS CHRIST, our Creator, the Beloved of the Father…our Redeemer…who is Preeminent in the Church…Preeminent over Death…Very God…Conqueror of satan…It is the LORD JESUS CHRIST who is in the Place of Power, Supremacy, and Exaltation and the Place of BLESSING for His people.
1. HE IS SEATED AS RISEN LORD – Eph 1:20 – God “raised HIM from the dead, and seated HIM at His RIGHT HAND in the Heavenly places.”
2. HE IS SEATED AS YOUR VICTORIOUS CONQUERING ONE – 1 Peter 3:22 says regarding Jesus, “Who is at the right hand of God, having gone into Heaven, after angels and authorities had been subjected to HIM.”
3. HE IS SEATED AS YOUR SAVIOR – ACTS 5:31 – “THE One whom God exalted to His Right Hand as a PRINCE and a SAVIOR.”
4. HE IS SEATED AND PRAYING FOR YOU – Rom 8:34 – regarding Jesus “who is at the RIGHT HAND OF GOD, who also INTERCEDES for US.”
5. HE IS SEATED AS YOUR HIGH PRIEST- Heb 8:1 – “…we have such a High Priest, who has taken His seat at THE RIGHT HAND OF THE Throne of the Majesty on High.” You have a Friend in High Places, the Lord Jesus, and there is no seat Higher than the Seat of the Almighty where sits your Risen Lord, the Victorious and Conquering Savior, interceding for you even as you read, even as He causes you to sleep, even when the stresses would threaten to tear the very fiber of your being – He is praying for YOU – Your great High Priest.
6. YOU ARE SEATED WITH CHRIST – Eph 2:6 – “…and raised us up with Christ…and raised us up together and made us SIT Together in the Heavenly places in Christ Jesus…..”
When Paul wrote to the church he was writing to people who had a physical location. The wonderful and amazing things is not only does a believer have a physical location but also a spiritual location – “In Christ.” We are brought into union with Him. We are safe and secure “In Him” as Noah was in the ark when the wrath of God was poured out. We are safe from God’s wrath when He pours it out. God has placed us in Him and we are seated in Christ with Him.
The verb tense of “raised” and “made” indicates that they are immediate and direct results of salvation. Not only is the believer dead to sin and alive to righteousness through Christ’s resurrection, but he also enjoys His Lord’s exaltation and shares in His preeminent glory “In the heavenly places,” the supernatural realm where God reigns (Eph 3:10). The Believer’s blessings are there (Eph. 1:3-14); their inheritance is there (1 Pet. 1:4); their affections should be there (Col. 3:3) and where they enjoy fellowship with the Lord. It is the realm where all Divine revelation has come and where all our praise and petition go (John MacArthur).
What is the Response He desires from YOU and me? “Keep seeking the things above, WHERE CHRIST IS, Seated at the right hand of God.” – Colossians 3:1-3. Fix your affections and the compass of your life and heart towards The Lord Jesus and the Things of God. CHOOSE TO THINK on HIM – His Person, His POSITION, HIS POWER, HIS PROMISES.
Pray and ask God to remind you of who He is and know that in “Beholding Him, we are changed from one degree of glory to glory.” We are changed by contemplating and beholding and gazing and thinking and meditating upon Him and living in submission to Him (2 Cor. 3:18; John 14:21).
Do not grow weary in well doing; for in due season, beloved, you will reap if you faint not. And in times of trouble and trial and temptation and even in times of tears or triumph – remember who it is who is Seated above your circumstances holding all things together by His own power and able to do the exceeding abundant beyond all you can ask or think. He has the Power to deliver you from unwanted circumstances or the power to sustain you, not somehow but triumphantly in the circumstances should He chooses not to change them. HE IT IS WHO IS SEATED. THERE IS NO HIGHER THAN THE LORD JESUS. There is No throne more powerful than His Throne. There is none who can remove or overthrow Him, and He bids you come to Him before His throne to receive mercy and help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16 says, “Let us therefore come boldly to the THRONE of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace for help in time of need.”
We can come confidently before Him for we find our Friend and King Jesus “Seated” there, neither in a manger as a helpless babe nor on a cross nor in a cold tomb, but the resurrected Lord, and “SEATED” in the place of Rest and Power and all things under His Authority and one day every knee shall bow and tongue confess that Jesus – who is Seated – is Lord, to the Glory of the Father.
CONSIDER JESUS CHRIST.
Who is Seated – as
- RISEN LORD
- AS YOUR VICTORIOUS CONQUERING ONE
- AS YOUR SAVIOR
- PRESENTLY PRAYING FOR YOU
- AS YOUR HIGH PRIEST
And you by Gods Doing – ARE – SEATED – WITH CHRIST
M- MEDITATE – Think on the truth that Jesus Christ is Seated in the Place of Power and Blessing.
A- APPLICATION – Hide these verses in your heart and share them with others.
P- PRAY – Pray and ask God to remind you of these truths and for the opportunity to share them with others concerning the supremacy of Jesus Christ who is raised from the dead and “SEATED” in the supreme position of power and authority!