What does sin do?
- Sin Deceives– Heb 3:13 “The deceitfulness of sin” – “The woman was deceived” Eve
- Sin Seperates – Ish 59:2 “ But your iniquities have made a seperation between you and your God, And your sins,have hidden His face from you, So that He does not hear,,”
- Sin Destroys -families- Gen 4:7 – Cain and Abel” sin is crouching at the door and its desire is for you , but to master you/.” – Cain kiled Abel….
- Sin Distorts –
Sin is Inherant-
Rom 5:19 – “Through the one mans disobedience the many were made sinners”
Ps 51:15 “Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.”
Sin is Universal-
1 Kings 8:46 – “There is no man who does not sin”-
Eccl 7:20 – “Indeed , there is not a righteous man on earth who continualy does good and who never sins.”
Rom 3:23- “For ALL what sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
1 Jn 1:8 – “If we say we have no sin we are deceiving ourselves, and the trruth is not in us.”`
Sin is compared to
– A dog eating his own vomit- 2 Peter 2:22
– A sow after been washed returns to wallowing in the mire.”-2 Peter 2:22
– A cloth used for a woman’s menstrual disposal- Ish 64″6
Sin is a Master-
Jn 8:34 – “ Jesus answered them and said Truly, Truly, I say to you , everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.”
Sin Enslaves –
Jn 8:34 “Truly, truly I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin”
Rom 6:6 – “ slaves to sin.”
Rom 6:16 “Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slavesfor obedience, you ARE slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death or of obedience resulting in righteousness?”
ENSLAVED TO WHOM?
A SLAVE TO satan
2 Tim 2:26 -”…and escape form the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.”
Eph 2: 2 “..of the spirit that is NOW working IN the sons of disobedience”
Sin is a Killer
Physical Death – The seperation of the soul and bodyRom 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death”-
Spiritual death – The seperation of the soul and God- Eph 2:5
Eternal Death – Rev 14:11 The soul forever seperated from God at the Completion of the physical death!
Sin is Evil
Gen 39:9 – Jospeh -“ How then could I commit this great evil, and sin against Goid.”
Sin Causes Pain
Sin is against God ultimately –
Ps 51:4 – “Against Thee and Thee only, I have sinned and done what is evi in Thy sightl”
Sin is PUNISHED
Eli’s sons and Eli
Though He appear to delay it does not mean the guilty will go unpunished
Rev 21:8- “But for the cowardly, and unbeliveing and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part wil be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death”
Rom 2:16 – THOUGHT LIFE/ SECRETS Exposed and JUDGED
“…on that day when, according to my Gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.”
Rom 3:19 – “That verry mouth may be closed, and al the world may become accountable to God.”
Matt 12:36 – WORDS JUDGED
“And I say to you, that every careless word that men shall speak, they shall render account for it in the day of judgement. For by your words you shall be justified and by your words you shall be condemned”
Sins of COMMISSION
Gen 3:6 – “When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.”. Got had had forbade them and they chose to defy Him and do what they want. It was not ignorance but deliberate rebellion!
Sins of OMISSION
James :4:17 -Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.”
Luke 10:32-37 the story of the good samaratain and is an example Jesus uses
Disobedience to the Son of God-The lord Jesus is Judged1
John 3:36- “He who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
Man is at enmity with God…
We need to understand Sin.
Most peoples Concept of sin -is how it affects other people. There reasoning goes like this… “If it’s not hurting anyone else .. what harm is it…”
But The issue is Sin is first and foremost Aginst God!
Lets look at some words that are used in Gods Word to show us different Expressions of sin.
Look at some of the words used to show us DIFFERENT Expressions of sin.
Look under “the Cross2” for definitions…
1.Hamartia – To miss the mark. To aim at a target and not to hit it.
It implies a standard I need to reach and do not. I may aim at it , strive to it but I miss it is sin
James “to fail in one part is to fail in the whole.”
- Confusion “To confuse God’s order is sin.”
God is a God of Order..It is to swap things around.
As God He has a right to rule His creatures and they have a right to follow His Instruction.
- Transgression– Ex 23:21 -“A Premeditated crossing of the line of Gods law. A Rebellious act of Rejecting Gods authority”
- “Who is the Lord that I should obey Him?”- Pharaoh
- Heb 2:- Not out of ignorance but out of Neglect – Choosing to reject the knowledge given
- Rom 1: They suppresed the truth
- 4. Pervesion – “To take and twist what God says and do not do what He says”
Ill Saaul twisted what God said for his …OWN BENEFIT.
1.The most commonm word… means .. TO MISS THE MARK. To aim at a Target and not to hit it.
*IT IMPLIES A STANDARD I NEED TO REACH AND DO NOT, I may Aim accurately, desire and strive to do so… but to miss the mark of God’s Standard ..is SIN!!
*Bengenites..all left hander slingers
* Plane .. goes down in the Ocean a hundred miles of shore or a hundred yards.. it still falls short
*Basketball… whether a player throws an Air-Ball or hits the rim.. either way if it doesnt go in the basket he doesn’t get credi for the miss…
2. Confusion…another word used for sin. To Confuse Gods Order is Sin
* T o Love anything more than Him…is Confusion
* A wife that runs a Home ..is Confusing Gods order and is …in Sin
* A Husband that fails to love His wife as Christ loveds the Chursh, perhaps transferering his love to the children..is a Confusion of God’s Order and is sin.
*Children who disobey their parents is Confusing God’s order and …is Sin.
It is to SWAP things around. God has an order and a way for things to be done… and failure to do so is Confusion of His order and is…Sin!
As God He has a Right to Rule His Creatures.. and for them to follow His Instructions…
3.PERVERSION; To take and TWIST what God says and not do what He says.
* Saul was told to destroy the Amalekites… he didnt. He destroyed most but kept the king and some good live stock… He TWISTED what God had said to do … for his own benefit.
* Husband .. who lords over his wife …is TWISTING Gods word as Head of the Household… the wife isa not a slave…but to be loved.
It is to take and TWIST around the Command of God to suit yourself….
4.DECEIT;...The idea is instead of being STRAIGHTFORWARD… being Deceptive. God is a God of Truth….Decpetion is sin!
5. A BREECH OF TRUST;. God GIVES life to man -you are a steward…of that which belongs to God. If he does not carry out what he is supposed to do with it or promised to do with it… he has brokemn a trust.
Sin is a Breech of Trust. It speaks aboput Responsibility from God. There is nothing you have that you did not Receive…from God. It is a Gift…it has not been given to you to do as you want to do with it….but as God wants you to do with it…
*Kept back the finances and the best sacrifices from God..Tithes and Offerings…gave Him the sickly animals to sacrifice…
6.NEGLECT OF RESOPONSIBILITY;
…idea is… “I knew what I should have donme but I did not pay attention…I did not take it serious…Negligence
*Heb 2 “Neglect so great a Saalvation…”Not ignorance but Indifference…
7. INJUSTICE;…This has to do with FAILING to TREAT all men the same. James 2:
8.DISOBEDIENCE;… To have a Law and say “No I wont do it. This is not just I forgot but “No I will not do it”- Defiance
9.TRANSGRESS;…To Cross a Boundary… God establishes Boundaries…Marraige bed …God draws a line to go across that Line is Sin… To Know where Gods Boundary is in a situation and to…Go across it…. David and Bethsheba…Adultry
10.UNRIGHTEOUSNESS; …means doing something that is Not Right.
11.LAWLESSNESS;…To live as though there is No Law to be respected…To Live as though there is No Requirement on me…
12.IMPIETY;...The Failure to Honor God.. Rom 1:They did not Honor God as God”… Living as though God doesnt deserve Honor…as if there is nothing different about God.
*Taking His name in Vain “O God”.. when I have nothing else to say…Acting as if God and His Name make no difference. To live so…is Sin…Ten Commandmends “Not to take the Name of your God…in an EMPTY manner.”
13. TO LUST;…It is SIN to stand at the Boundaries God has given… and to LUST in your hearts.. to go over into the forbidden thing…
*DEMAS “LUSTED” in his heart for ther things of the World
* ACHAN”Lusted in his heart for silver…
If you are Looking across Gods Boundaries and are “Lustinhg” in your heart for what God forbids ..it is sinning….wishing you had what another man has… his wife..is Sin…. If you are Captivated by what is across the Line it is Sin… Longing and Lusting to experience what is on the other side…One danger of T.V… for a moment you may wish you were on the other side EXPERIENCING it…
14.CROOKED and PERVERSE
Phil 2…Crooked.. Medical term where we get our English word Skoliosis = means Curveture of the Spine…Not straight Crooked … PEVERSE= That which is PERMANENTLY DISFIGURED OR DISTORTED…
These are all EXPRESSIONS of Sin.